Are you taking the necessary steps to develop a solid and consistent brand for your freelancing business? As opposed to many people’s beliefs, branding consists of more than just the colors or fonts of your website. It’s more about differentiation, your purpose, your personality, and much more.
Mallika Malhotra of MikiFoto + Co is an award-winning brand builder, professional photographer, business mentor, and author of The Brand Photography Playbook. After years of working in corporate advertising, she now helps women entrepreneurs master their message, show up as the face of their business and discover their bulls-eye niche. It’s her mission to empower women to stop hiding and to start emerging as leaders. When she’s not taking pictures or building brands, she’s at home with her three sons and husband, drinking coffee or red wine and dreaming about their next global adventure.
In today’s episode of The Well-Paid Creative, Mallika explains her 6-step simple framework to building a solid brand. Listen in to learn the power of personality and consistency in your branding to impact those you’re meant to serve.
Mallika talks about:
- How to consistently work on your brand to be a leader in your industry.
- Build a deeper connection with your audience through branding.
- Make your brand memorable by letting out your personality.
- The power of differentiating your brand from the competition.
Here’s a glance at some of the things we talked about:
- [2:06] Mallika explains how she started her photography career and transitioned to doing strategy around branding and mentorship with women entrepreneurs.
- [4:10] The primary foundational questions to ask yourself, your clients, and your network to continually build a stronger brand.
- [5:58] The importance of branding for differentiation. How crystal-clear branding helps you actively curate the impression you’re making to your audience.
- [8:34] Mallika’s simple 6-step framework to building a brand; define the purpose of your brand, don’t be everything to everyone, identify the value you’re offering, identify your point of difference, embrace your personality, and be consistent with your message.
- [19:24] How to establish consistency with your branding by having a few content pillars you keep rotating, measuring which ones resonate more with your clients, and then creating a marketing plan you can stick to.
- [21:13] Stop thinking that branding is for the big companies or getting inspiration from the competition, and instead develop your own authentic brand that you consistently work on.
- [23:41] The few action steps you need to take to develop and impact your branding.
- Learn more about Mallika Malhotra
- Unsure how to be the face of your brand? Download the free Brand Visibility Booster and learn the power of visual storytelling. Discover the six key photo stories your business needs to stand out and activate your audience. Get ready to share your brand with the world. Visibility never felt so easy!
- Follow Mallika on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter
- More episodes of The Well-Paid Creative Podcast
- Not sure what to focus on to move your freelancing towards more profit? Get your answer by taking the Profit Finder today!
- Subscribe to the Creativity+Commerce weekly newsletter – an irreverent look at the business of being creative